Roof Repair Services
How Long Does a Roof Last? What to Know About the Lifespan of a Roof
The roof of a house is considered to be its most important element as it protects both the structure and its dwellers from unruly elements of nature and provides a safe and a comfortable living environment. However, like all other materials, it has a limited lifespan. In this article we will discuss important questions like the factors that affect the lifespan of a roof, how long different roofing materials last, and what you can do to extend the lifespan of your roof in detail.
Factors affecting the lifespan of a roof
- Material: The types of materials used for the construction of a roof is one of the most important factors that determine its lifespan. Durable materials last longer as compared to other standard materials.
- Installation: The procedure and the quality of roof installation is also considered to be an important factor while determining the lifespan of a roof. A roof that has been installed properly with the correct procedure will last longer as compared to the one that has been installed in an improper way.
- Maintenance: Regular maintenance of a roof will help in sustaining the structure for a long period of time. Frequent inspection, cleaning and repairs will help to keep the roof in perfect condition.
- Climate: The area you live in and the climate you face will also go on to determine the roof’s lifespan. Extreme weather conditions such as hailstorms, excessive cold temperatures can affect its overall age.
- Age: The overall age of your roof is also a very important factor. With time roofing structures are meant to weather out no matter how good they are.
How long do different roofing materials last?
Like the first point we stated earlier in the article, the lifespan of a roof heavily depends on the type of materials used. Here are some estimated life cycles for different roofing materials:
Depends on the type of metal used during installation.
100 + Years
Among the most durable materials available
Wood Shake Roofing
Mildly Durable as compared to other materials
100 + Years
Ways to expand the lifespan of your roof
Here are a few ways in which you can expand the lifespan of your roof:
- Schedule regular inspections: Regularly inspect your roof to take care of any problems that might occur and prevent them from becoming serious early on.
- Repair damage as soon as you can: If you come across any damage to your roof, get it repaired as soon as you can to prevent any excessive and unnecessary damage.
- Keep a clean roof: Keep your roof clean of any debris to prevent any structural or water damage.
- Ensure proper ventilation: Proper ventilation of your roof helps prevent moisture buildup and reduces the risk of mould and mildew growth, which can damage your roof and shorten its lifespan.
- Hire a professional: Lastly, it is advisable to hire a professional for any repairs or installations as to ensure its proper installation and maintenance for a long lifespan.
In case you need any further help or assistance you can head over to the services provided section in LocalXR.com or contact us at 888-808-2897. LocalXR is the easiest way to find and get connected to top local service professionals over the phone and to get free quotes for you to compare and decide. We at LocalXR connect instantly with nearest local service professionals for all your needs.